Monday, September 18, 2006

The flight back to Texas from Pakistan Part IV

After the security woman tells me that I should make it on time to my flight I get in that hell of a line. I bet that line wrapped around 5 times, maybe more. I didn't know how there was possibly going to be a way to make it on time. I did remain hopeful as I checked my watch now every 2 minutes.

I was overhearing others conversations about how they were running late too. Seemed that the security was holding everyone up. Now, don't think I wouldn't appreciate some good security because I do. It just seems when you are running late everything holds you up. You know like when you are in a hurry to get somewhere in your car and you get stopped at every stoplight - that's what I mean.

Sara was just babbling up a storm while we were in line and I heard some comments that they couldn't believe that she was acting so good. If they only knew she just got off an 18 hour flight they'd be shocked!

I'm looking down at my watch and I see that it's minutes from 7 p.m. Flight leaves at 7:15 p.m. We finally reach the entrance to go through the metal detector. You have to take your shoes off first, put your carry-on and all other items in a bin ready for them to scan. Sara and I walk through the metal detector which by the way, I was asked if they ever made me take Sara out of her carrier. The answer is nope, they sure didn't. She stayed strapped onto me with no problems regarding security.

We head through the medal detector and no beeps but wouldn't ya know it - they stopped me to search my carry-on. They said they saw something that looked like liquid. I couldn't imagine what it could be. Hand sanitizer, maybe - I thought? It was all locked up and I had to get it unlocked for the security. She opened it up and found it to be Sara's liquid infant vitamins. She said that it was fine since it was for the baby. I half ass closed up that bag, asked the security how far my gate was and she said it was a 5 minute walk. Sara and I were off - we were running!!! That 5 minute run felt like forever and we finally arrived to the gate at 7:10 p.m. Literally, 5 minutes to spare before they closed the gate. They took my boarding pass and we were on our way....home!!!

We get on the plane, find our seat and I'm still just sweating. I sat down in that seat, took Sara out of her carrier and just took a deep breath. Felt so good to sit down and relax for a bit knowing that I made it on time and within 45 minutes time I'd be home. Sara took a big bottle of formula and was out like a light. She slept on my shoulder the entire flight. I enjoyed a glass of Sprite because my tummy was a bit upset and before I knew it - we were starting to descend into my hometown.

I was on an aisle seat so I couldn't see much out the window but from what I saw, all I could think of is that I'm finally home. It is truly such a mixed feeling all at once. I was happy and sad. Happy to be home and sad to leave Shakil on the other side of the world. I always remained hopeful and I just knew one day he'd have that visa in his hand. We knew he'd get it but when...?

The plane lands and we taxi over to the gate. The man sitting next to me on the aisle made the comment that I sure had a good baby. I did tell him that she just got off an 18 hour flight and he couldn't believe it. I think they expected her to cry the whole flight but she didn't!! ha ha!!

Sara and I got off that plane and exited out the door. My Mom, my brother, my best friend Steph and her baby that is 2 months younger than Sara - never seen her yet were all going to be waiting for us. When walking to baggage claim there is a glass area that you can see the baggage claim. There they all were waiting, Sara and I waived and I could already feel the tears starting to come. I was so relieved to make it there - on time at that!

We walked out and they just ran over to hug us. It was such a good feeling!! We collected my luggage and all went out to dinner and had a great time. Surprisingly, the next day I didn't have much jet-lag at all. Sara slept the whole night and has been sleeping all night ever since. I couldn't ask for a better baby!!

The end.

Until later...

Bye for now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cindi said...

Happy end to the story! Now you just need to get Shakil here and you'll be set!

You have a great baby travelling without complaint.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Living Away said...

Wow Tara, I'm so impressed with baby Sara. She really knows how to make her mother so proud!
I could picture you seeing your family by the glass wall. Everytime I get in Brasil there are at least 20 people waiting for me at the airport and this is a wonderful "I belong in here" feeling!

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I so get ya on the tears in eyes when seeing family..it kinda sneaks up on ya doesn't it?

12:37 AM  
Blogger Um Dania said...

you know what tara!! you have a beautiful daughter to be proud of .. thanks god everything went fine ,, the happy ending is coming when shakil joins you and little sara ..
i almost cried when you mentioned the meeting with your family .. as i left mine few days ago..and i still can`t get off my mama`s face when i huged her goodbye .. it was so emotional ..
well i truely thank the guy who invented the enternet as i can chat with mama everyday ...
kisses for the lovely Sara

Dania`s mama

6:56 PM  
Blogger pixie said...

I'm so glad that you made it on time!!! I got all misty eyed just reading about you seeing your family.
Insha'allah, your hubby will be home with you soon.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home