Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The flight back to Texas from Pakistan Part I

First and foremost, I must say - it feels so good to be home!! But..and a big BUT...it will never be home until Shakil is here with baby Sara and I.

Shakil, baby Sara and I went over to the inlaws my last evening in Pakistan and stayed there until it was time for baby Sara and I to go to the airport. The in-laws house is closer to the airport and plus, it would give the in-laws some more time with baby Sara. When we got there, which was after midnight I think they were still awake awaiting us I assume. We just sat in their bedroom and chatted and of course my in-laws just loved on baby Sara as much as they could. It was really sweet.

2:30 a.m. rolls around and it was time for us to go. As I sat there at the in-laws I almost hoped that time would come to a standstill and I could make the moment last longer. I just didn't want to leave my husband. :( We got everything packed up in the car and headed out. I said my goodbyes to FIL and gave MIL a goodbye hug. They walked us out and we were on our way to the airport.

It seemed like a pretty long drive to the airport or I was just thinking or hoping it would last longer. I wanted to enjoy those last moments with my husband as long as possible. We pull into the airport and drive up to security. You have to pull over this hump so they can look or try to look under your car to check if we're hiding a bomb under it. Shakil pulls up to the international departures and I take a deep breath. He gets out to go check the flight status. My flight was due to leave at 5:50 a.m. and we arrived just shy of 3 a.m. I sat in the car with Sara and waited for him to get back.

He comes back to the car and says, "it's time - they are already checking in". I feel that big lump in my throat and I just felt so sad and so happy all at the same time. You know, you'd think I'd be a pro at this by now - having to leave hubby and deal with the separation but you never are. It always feels as if I've never done it before and it just feels awful leaving him there.

Shakil gets a porter to help me with my luggage. I had 2 big pieces of luggage, 1 carry-on that was going to have to be checked baggage and Sara's diaper bag. The diaper bag just had the bare essentials which did include a bottle of water for her but the porter said that they would make me get rid of it. So, I gave it back to Shakil. The porter takes over with the luggage and Shakil walks baby Sara and I to the terminal.

I was in western clothing - a pair of capri pants and a t-shirt so you can imagine how many stares I got. It's not that common for a woman to be walking around showing some leg, even just a little. I wanted to be comfortable on that flight and last time I flew, I noticed how many were wearing western clothing. I flew PIA for those who have no idea why I was concerned about clothing. But you know, to be honest with you - I didn't care. I just wanted to be comfy on that 18 hour flight with a 7 month old.

Shakil paid the porter in advance for me and I'm pretty sure that's how it's handled anyway. There I am standing looking at the entrance to the terminal dreading leaving and I tell Shakil to say goodbye to Sara again and give her a kiss. He gives her the last kiss and leans over to give me a hug and kiss on the cheek. It's not that common for much public display of affection in Pakistan.

I think I did pretty well. I was able to keep the tears from just flowing down my face. If Sara sees me cry, she'll cry too. I just kept my composure, told Shakil I loved him and headed straight into the terminal. Once you walk into the terminal there is a table off to the side where last time they asked me some questions but this time I breezed on through. They didn't stop me. I say it was because I had a baby with me. The porter takes my luggage to be scanned. Men have to walk through the metal detector and women are taken off to a curtained area to the side where you are basically frisked or patted down.

When you get through security it opens up to all the check-in counters. PIA is the biggest counter of course and the line was outrageous. There was another flight to the U.S. heading to New York that was about to depart and believe it or not there were still people going through check-in. I got in line with the porter and stood there for a good hour. Sara kept everyone entertained with her noises she makes. I really think she liked the way her voice echoed. I had her strapped onto me with a baby carrier and it worked great not having to hold her.

About an hour and a half into waiting, the porter who surprisingly spoke some good English said that I could go sit down and he'd stay in line and watch the baggage. He didn't have to tell me twice - I was ready to sit down! I grabbed Sara's diaper bag that had all the important stuff and went to sit down. I was sitting next to a very nice lady who was traveling alone with 2 children and she was just very friendly to me and I enjoyed talking to her and it made the time go by quicker.

Finally, it was my turn to go check in. I walk up to the counter and the man takes our passports and tickets. He does his thing with them and issues boarding passes for us. I confirm with him that I am indeed sitting in bulkhead and I also wanted to confirm that the bassinet was going to be available. Of course, the guy couldn't tell me crap and told me to ask when I got on board. I wasn't happy with his answer but what else could I do ya know. He finishes up and tells me he needs 2 copies of Sara and I's passports. Uhmmmm...I tell the man, "I have 1 copy of them". He says that they now require 2 copies and I had to go get copies done. I had to go pay Rs 35 for each per copy. Now that is not cheap for Pakistan. It's a rip off! Plus, I had to stand in line again and the men were just so rude trying to get in front of me. This one man walked over with like 6 or 7 passports and just got right in front of me. I did speak up and tell him that the line was behind me and he was going to have to wait because I had been waiting. He did apologize but it was a sassy apology. Sheesh.

So I got the damn copies, took them back to the check-in counter. Sara and I were on our way. Next stop, immigration. I'm in the line for foreigners and walk up to the immigration officer. He takes our passports and takes a bit longer looking at Sara's. Now, Sara was born in Pakistan but I had her birth registered with the American Embassy as "birth abroad". The officer looks up at me and says, "where's her visa"? I was a bit shocked but firmly responded that she was born in Pakistan and I could provide birth certificate if he needed. Plus, on her U.S. passport it does say she was born in Pakistan. Come on, read!! I told him that it was the first time she's traveling. He didn't give me anymore hassle and let us head on out.

I had arrived at the airport about 3 a.m. and didn't get to the gate until about 5:15 a.m. My flight was due to leave at 5:50 a.m. So when I got the gate, I didn't even have to wait. We were able to go straight onto the plane which was nice. We got onto the plane, found our seat and it was indeed bulkhead. There was the nicest woman and child sitting next to us. She immediately introduced herself and child to me and we just chatted until the plane took off. It's always hard when the plane takes off. Just sitting there thinking of my hubby that I'm leaving behind.

8 Comments:

Blogger pixie said...

oh, I know it had to be hard to leave your hubby behind. I hope that he gets to come home soon. I hope you are enjoying yourself!!!
Does if feel weird being home?

7:34 PM  
Blogger Cindi said...

I do not envy you that lonnng wait with a small baby! At least you got through that part of immigration without too much hassle! Looking forward to part 2!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Gulperi said...

Girl, I got tears reading that.. >hugs< he will come soon insha'Allah! I will make dua's that he does.. Must have been hard. Alhamdulilah you got through all that mess though. Am also looking fwd to part two!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Baji said...

Awww, that is such a sad story. Glad you're home safe and sound.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I felt so upset reading this. I hope Shakil joins you soon. Inshallah he will. It must be so hard.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Thanks for posting. I'm anxiously awaiting part two as I'll be flying solo (HAM-AMS-MEM-EVV) with my son in November when he'll be 6 mos. old. How was that bassinet?

4:20 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Bassinet was just like a lined cardboard box! Just horrible. I'm surprised Sara slept in it at all. I'll post about it in part II. :)

4:40 PM  
Blogger Jaycie said...

Tara I'm so glad your home. So do you know how long it will take for Shak to get the visa and everything? Is it a matter of weeks or months? I wanted to post abt that Neil Diamond song.. my mom used to have that record (The Jazz Singer) and I'm really glad that video cameras were not common around the house at that time because that would be some good black mail. We danced around the living room for hours. lol

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home