Monday, June 06, 2005

Is my chicken thawed YET?

Food always seems to be a discussion between Shakil and I. I'm starting to think that is really all that he thinks about. He seems to be so concerned with the next meal. We could have just finished a big breakfast and he's already discussing or wanting to discuss what is for lunch? - what is for dinner?. Is this just a Paki thing or is this the same with most men? I of course - blame it on Pakistan!! Like I seem to blame everything else on.

I've gotten on the same schedule as Shakil with his work. He works 4 days a week now (Friday's 5 p.m. to 5 a.m., Saturday's 5 p.m. to 2 a.m., Sunday's 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Monday's 5 p.m. to 5 a.m.) I find myself doing cleaning late in the evening, cooking and laundry, etc. Since its been so hot, it really works out well doing these things at night. I'm probably the weirdo in front of the neighbors hanging laundry out on the line after midnight. I sure don't see anyone else hanging out their laundry after midnight. Hey, whatever works right?

So tonight is a working night for Shakil. Last night before 'our weekend' starts. We had already discussed yesterday, no, come to think about it.....it was at 4 a.m. this morning. He asked me what I was going to make for dinner. I told him I wanted to make Haleem. I've become very fond of Haleem. I just love it!! The point of my story is that Shakil buys the K&N's chicken for me to use. Last time we got a whole chicken from Jalal Son's it still had some feathers on it - that did it for me....not again!! So Shakil buys the K&N's Karahi cut chicken. It can be a bit more pricey I think - but it sure is nice and clean!! It works great for the Haleem. It was put in the fridge this morning so it could start thawing. It was frozen hard as a rock.

My FIL/BIL are here from Karachi and it's always a challenge when they are here. I should really say more of a challenge with my FIL. Don't get me wrong - my FIL treats me great but he does get on my nerves with some of the crazy stuff he does. *No, I'm not going to start the inlaw bashing* They have been here for the past 3 days and Shakil and I have needed to defrost the freezer. I've never had to do it before considering most freezers in the U.S. have frost free freezers. Shakil hadn't been wanting to do it because we'd have to turn off the fridge for a bit. He didn't want things to go bad and of course neither did I. Well, FIL always thinks differently - at least when it comes to something Shakil wants to do or doesn't want to do. After Shakil left for work, FIL decided he wanted to defrost the freezer. He told me he intentionally waited until Shak left because he didn't want to argue with him about it. FIL was nice enough to ask if I minded - which I thought was nice.

So we take all of the stuff out of the freezer and put in the fridge part. There really wasn't much stuff in the freezer considering most Paki fridges are so darn small! Not a big task. FIL said he would turn off the fridge for 2 hours and he'd clean up any mess - which btw that was very nice too. 2 hours pass and FIL/BIL leave to go for their nightly outing (which is to walk in the park when it's 100+ degrees out) and I go downstairs to check up on things. I open up the freezer door and what do ya know - all the frost is gone. It looked great. He did rearrange the freezer though. But one problem - my chicken was in the freezer and it was almost back frozen again. I had left that chicken to thaw and FIL put it back in the freezer. Sheesh. So here it is 7:30 p.m. and the chicken is STILL not thawed yet. I've put it in a bowl of cool water in hopes that might speed things up. We shall see.

Oh and FIL seems to have an obsession with covering the furniture here. What the heck? Does he not think anyone is living here?? *I'm still not inlaw bashing, I swear* This afternoon I took a peek into the drawing room downstairs to see if this lizard was still chillin' in there and noticed he covered all the furniture up with sheets. He rolled up the nice big area rug I put down and everything. Geezzzzzzzzz. I made Shakil uncover it all, get rid of the sheets and roll back out the rug. Shakil says his dad is always this way and it's a constant battle. It sure as heck is. I'm sure once FIL notices it, he'll cover it all back up again. Shak says he'll back me up when I'm explaining WHY I don't want the furniture covered up. Duh, we do live here!!!

Until later...

Bye for now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jaycie said...

Hey Tara pakistani fils must all come in the same mould. :P This sounds like something my fil would do. I'm not complaining about inlaws either.. :P

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home