Thursday, May 19, 2005

Food poisoning?

Ok, so four months here and just when I thought I was going to be one of the rare ones that doesn't get sick here. Last week Shakil and I went out to our favorite chinese restaurant that is a buffet. We've been there several times and have never had any problems. I haven't had any problems with a single restaurant here. Shakil and I hadn't been out in over 3 1/2 weeks and we were wanting some chinese. The electricity had gone out again and we couldn't bare the heat inside. The chinese restaurant had a/c and electricity.

The next day Shakil started having some stomach issues and then the diarrhea started with him. He took some Imodium and that seemed to cure it for him. 2 days later I woke up with some nausea but really didn't think much of it. Later that day the diarrhea started and it came with a vengeance. I was having pure liquid diarrhea (sorry graphic) and the most horrrrrrrible pains in my lower abdomen. I would just be sitting on the toilet in tears because I was in so much pain. I was taking Imodium but it just wasn't helping me. Plus, I've always known that it's your bodies way of getting rid of the toxins.

The evening came and the diarrhea was still going on but did start to lessen some. Shakil had to go to work at his new job as he was still in training. He left his cell phone home with me just in case of an emergency I could get in touch with him. Our landline phone had been out. Shakil got me some more meds and also got me some pedialyte so I wouldn't get dehydrated. But unfortunately I was already dehydrated. He went to work and then at 1 a.m. I called him home. I couldn't even keep water or the pedialyte down. So now I was vomiting with diarrhea. It was just horrible. I also started running a fever. I was miserable.

Shakil was ready to take me to the hospital here in Lahore but I just tried to fight it off. The next day when I couldn't take it anymore he took me to a hospital that was recommended by his grandfather. When you first walk in there was a waiting area and then just a long hall in front of you. On the left there was a pharmacy and then there was a sign hanging where it said "Doctor on duty" Just odd to me. But anyways, we were seen almost right away. We were called into this room where the doc was sitting at his desk and there was an examining table. I explained what was going on and he felt around on my tummy and then told me that I needed to be admitted for IV fluids and antibiotics. He couldn't give me antibiotics by mouth because I just couldn't keep anything down.

I was taken to a room where there was a sofa, a hospital bed and 2 chairs. The sheets on the bed were not clean and the pillowcase was not clean either. There was even some dried blood on my pillow. Yuck!! But luckily I had my dupatta to cover the pillowcase with so my hair or my head didn't touch the darn thing. A nurse came in and put the IV in and she did a good job but did manage to make me bleed. Get this, the blood dripped on the bedsheet and she just put tape over it to cover it up. Disgusting!!! Everything else was sterile so that was really all that mattered to me. I spent a few hours there and by the time I left there I was already feeling much better. A day later I was starting to feel like myself again. Needless to say, I really feel like myself now.

I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone. It was by far the worst thing I have ever had to go through. I haven't eaten out since and not so sure when I will again. :-) The prob is that there is just some really tasty food here in Pak but I need to avoid it now!!

Everything else here is going ok. The heat is on though. It's been in the 100's. Yuck!!

Until later...

Bye for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home