Sunday, June 12, 2005

Packing up

I leave Lahore on Wednesday, June 15th at 5:50 a.m. and I arrive into Houston, TX on Wednesday at 4 p.m. I take a flight out of Houston into DFW at 7:00 p.m. and I should be into DFW airport at 8 p.m.-ish.

I started packing last night and have almost filled up 1 suitcase. It's pretty much filled with stuff that I originally brought here. I'm amazed at what I didn't even touch in my 5 month stay. I plan on taking back some Zyrtec that I use for my allergies because it's just so cheap here and the U.S. it's $60 for 30 pills (without insurance) and that is just nuts. I'm sure there will be some other items that I'll want to take back as well but I really don't have much time to obtain much considering Shak works all the way through Monday night. So Tuesday during the day is really all the time I have.

I have so many mixed feelings right now. I remember how I felt leaving the U.S. to come here and it's like I'm having that feeling all over again. I packed up my life there to come here and here I'm doing the same thing again. I still have lots of clothing to pack up and I'll get that done tomorrow (Monday) most likely. As I walk through this house, the most amazing sense of emptiness consumes me. It seems so surreal that I'm leaving. Since I've lived here I have realized how much I take for granted in the U.S. - just being able to get in the car and drive myself somewhere, go to the supermarket by myself, etc.

I'm not even sure what I will want to do first. I think when I arrive in Houston, I'm just going to have to take a really deep breath and want to just kiss the ground. I know that I'll have to have a Dr. Pepper ASAP and I'm looking forward to some good 'ol American food and some yummy mexican food. I think I miss mexican food the most. A couple of months ago I was crrrrrrrrraving refried beans. I've pretty much gotten over that - but come to think of it, those sound pretty good right about now. I'm getting verrrrry tired of Paki food everyday. Don't get me wrong, I like many Paki dishes but I just am tired of having it every single day.

Shakil and I are trying to make the most of our last few days together. He doesn't get home until 2 a.m. tonight from work. I keep trying to tell him that we will get through this and a few months will go by quicker than we think. Sure is hard to do when you are trying to fight back the tears from rolling down your face. *sigh*

Until later...

Bye for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Thank you Dawn, we appreciate it - that means a lot to Shakil and I.

Love ya,
Tara

2:05 PM  
Blogger Jaycie said...

How hard! I can't imagine what you're going through. I hope when you get to TX you can clear your mind! Have a safe trip. I will keep you guys in my prayers.
Jaycie

2:42 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

have a safe flight back and it's only understandable missing home...

many duas, renee

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home