Thursday, June 16, 2005

Back on U.S. soil

The day I was leaving Shakil was off work so we were able to spend all of our last day together. We went to the market we usually went to called "Al-Fatah" and I picked up some things that I wanted to take back to the U.S. I just got some of the biscuits that I really liked there along with some bar soap that I became very fond of. After that Shakil took me to an ice cream parlor that we hadn't even been to before and it was sooo yummy - very nice place btw. I had my heart set on chicken seekh kababs for dinner so shortly after ice cream (seems we were doing things backwards - dessert b4 dinner) We went to the "Lahore Chatkhara" and went inside to eat and I must have downed over 4 kababs. They were especially tasty!!

We went home after dinner and I chatted to my Mom briefly to let her know that I was set to leave. Shakil and I spent the rest of the evening just watching t.v. together and getting in plenty of snuggling. :-) It was just wonderful. We talked about the future and he really wanted to know what my plans are - I've told him many 'a times but I guess he just likes hearing it again for reassurance. I told him that I plan to stay in the U.S. until we get a decision on the I-601 waiver - which btw hasn't even been filed yet for God's sake. The Embassy claims that Shakil's file is with an officer and he will be called when the officer is finished. I just hope for some reason they don't ask for the waiver but based on our first call from them after the interview, one of the ladies that works at the Embassy said that she was 99% sure that the waiver would be asked for. We shall see - I think they are just dragging their feet per usual.

All my stuff was packed. I had 2 pieces of luggage that were extremely full. I definitely was going back with more clothing considering I acquired many shalwar kameez while I was there. I guess we left the house at about 3:00 a.m. and the airport is only about 15 minute drive from the house. I just stared out the window most of the way just thinking about my long journey home and when I would see Shakil again and I know he was doing the same.

When we got to the airport Shakil pulled up and we just sat in the car and talked for a few minutes. He had walked up to the terminal and asked if my flight was on time and they told him yes. At about 4 a.m. I told Shakil "I guess I can go now". He walked me up to the area where I'd be going in. He did get me a porter to help me out with my baggage, etc. Shakil told the porter that I only spoke English which was a big help. Time was ticking and I knew I needed to get moving and I just didn't know how I was going to say goodbye to him. I don't think I even said goodbye because this wasn't goodbye - it was see you later. It's never goodbye. Shakil leaned in for a quick hug - you don't really need to make any public displays of affection in Pakistan and it especially wasn't a good idea considering all eyes were on me - the only white girl around.

I made it to my gate and my flight left about 5:50 a.m. - right on time. I was however pleasantly surprised when I got on the plane. There were so many white people. Last year when I went to Pak, I was the ONLY white girl. This time I wasn't and it was great. This flight had just come in from Karachi to Lahore. My flight took us to Manchester where I had about an hour layover and it wasn't bad at all. The best thing was that the plane was not full at all and even one of the flight attendants moved me up to business class so I could lay across 3 seats and sleep. That was fabulous.

On the flight from Manchester to Houston, a Paki woman around the same age as me noticed that I was looking around for 3 empty seats together so I could lay down and sleep again. She called the flight attendant for me and asked the flight attendant to have the guy next to me move so I could have the 3 seats to myself to sleep. The guy didn't mind moving at all and so for the 9 hour flight from Manchester to Houston, I had 3 seats all to myself to just stretch out and sleep, etc. It was such a nice flight.

I arrived into Houston at about 3:30 p.m. and didn't get through baggage claim/customs until after 5 p.m. Thank God I didn't take a 6 p.m. flight because I would have been pushin' it. I had to go through 2 security clearances just because I had come in from Pakistan. Lots of security but it wasn't bad at all.

When I made it into Dallas it was about 8:30 p.m. and my bro/Mom were waiting for me at the baggage claim. When I walked out, I just ran to my Mom and gave her a big hug and the tears just started running down my face and my Mom was tearing up too. It was quite a moment. It felt so great to be home safe and sound. After we retreived my baggage, my Mom, bro and I went out to dinner. I reallllllllllllllllly wanted mexican food. I of course ordered my fav cold drink - Dr. Pepper but the strange thing was that it just didn't taste right to me at all and still doesn't. I was only able to eat 3 or 4 bites of my food because my stomach started getting upset. Grrrrrr.

We made it to my Mom's house at about 11 p.m. and I was just beat. I called Shakil to let him know that I was home and we chatted for a good 30 minutes. God, I miss him so much. It just feels so odd not having him here by my side. We did everything together in Lahore and now I'm alone without him. I knew I'd feel this way - it was to be expected.

I think the jetlag is really setting in because my head is just about to explode because it hurts so bad. I'm exhausted.

Until later...

Bye for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home