Monday, June 12, 2006

Our little fish...

Look at this little fish!! First time in the pool!
Last week we went to visit MIL and she informed us that her fathers swimming pool was ready. She had taken her friend and her friends' kids there just the evening before. Shakil looked at me and said, "let's go tomorrow"! I was all for it and of course very anxious to get baby Sara into the water for the 1st time too!

On our way home I wanted to stop at Liberty Burger which is a local burger stand that serves up some tasty spicy chicken burgers with fries and cole slaw all for the price of about Rs 60 which is about $1 - can't beat it, right? I usually don't eat over at MIL's because 1. she doesn't mind cooking "side of the road chicken" 2. she holds over food for days 3. she cooks any and all organs. Uhhhh...no thank you. Plus, all my MIL seems to cook is chicken curry and it basically consists of chicken, lots of oil and lots of water. I call it "chicken, oil, water".

Shakils' grandfathers house is about 1 minute from Liberty Burger and he asked if I wanted to just check out the pool. I was in a hurry because I wanted to get home in time to watch Oprah at 11 p.m. She was having the interview with Queen Rania of Jordan and I was interested in watching it. So we had some time and we stopped to check out the pool.

We walk to the back of the house and the first thing I notice is that it's green - very green! Yuck!!! Then we walk around the pool just looking inside and there was a little frog that had made the pool his home. Double yuck!! Now look back at my first paragraph - my MIL had taken her friend and friends' kids to the pool just the evening before. Ok, could they not see that the pool was disgustingly dirty?!?! Geez. Just the thought of letting my child swim in a dirty pool scares the begeebers out of me!!

Shakil talked to the watchman he said that the pool service people were coming the next day to clean and put the chemicals. The pool had just been filled and not serviced yet. We waited 2 days and then decided we'd get ourselves ready and go for a swim. I didn't bring my swimsuit here to Pakistan so I had to wear a pair of shorts/t-shirt which just feels yucky when you get wet. I MUCH prefer a swimsuit!! Anyways, Shakil had asked before why I didn't bring my swimsuit. Well, when I left the U.S. I was about 4 months pregnant and I didn't think I'd be doing any swimming - nor would I want to with my ever-growing stomach! :-) And.....you don't see many Pakistani women swimming here, in fact I haven't seen any at all swim. I think the funniest thing was when our servant saw me in the shorts and she said "knickers". You're wearing "knickers"!! I laughed and said, "yes, I'm going to swim in them". She later told me that she's never seen a woman in "knickers" as she called them. ha ha!

We headed over to the pool and walked around to the back of the house met the watchman and Shakil asked if the pool was clean and he said yes!! I of course needed to check it out for myself and yes, indeed it was - very clean!! I don't have a swimsuit for baby Sara yet so she had to swim naaaaaaaaaked! She's going to kill me when she gets older and sees the pics of her skinny dipping at the mere age of 4 1/2 months! ha ha!! So I stripped off baby Sara's clothes and handed her to her daddy. Shakil scooped her up and slowly lowered her into the pool. I expected a cry from her or something - some sign to let me know that she was scared - but NO! Baby Sara wasn't the least bit scared at all. Shakil lowered her to her shoulders and she just loved it. We of course didn't submerge her but we had such a good time walking around with her in the pool and letting her kick and splash. We're going to take her again this week on Shakil's days off. :-)

Until later...

Bye for now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cindi said...

It looks like she's a regular little mermaid! What a nice treat for you from the heat!!

8:37 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

what a little cutie...she looks so relaxed. :-)

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like FUN! and you were a brave one wearing the knickers ha ha ha.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Gulperi said...

Great pictures!! She DOES look relaxed in the water! Bet it brought back fond memories of her former home ;)

4:38 PM  
Blogger Baji said...

Mash'Allah-looks like great fun!

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home