Sunday, November 12, 2006

Looking back part 2

I had left my previous post saying that the culture shock was big...very big. I mean, I knew I was going to have a hard time but at the same time I knew Pakistan was where I needed to be right then. If you would have asked me 5 years prior to that or even 2 years - I would say you're crazy, there is no way I'd ever go there. You know here in the US a lot of people "think" or it's forced into our heads by what you see on television that some countries like Pakistan are just somewhere you shouldn't go. I mean, I could tell someone "I'm going to Pakistan" and they'd say "WHERE ARE YOU GOING!?!?!" Uhhh...did you NOT just hear me??? Yes, Pakistan and then the next thing they would say is "Are you scared?" I was never scared while I was in Pakistan. My safety was never a concern. I always felt safe.

But yes, the culture is different from what I'm accustomed to here in the U.S. But it's not a bad thing at all. In fact, after I got used to Pakistan, I really started to enjoy the culture. I think you just learn to go with the flow. That was something that I really had to put into my head. "Try not to bitch so much Tara, it's not that bad and just go with the flow" is what I'd say to myself. But once you really get used to the lifestyle, the culture and the many differences you see in everyday life - it's not bad at all. In fact, I really learned so much while I was there.

The language barrier was a problem at functions but again, after a while you just get used to it. But everyone in Shakil's family spoke English and I'm capable enough of learning Urdu but never really cracked down and learned it. I had the desire but I guess I just had it in my mind "I'll never learn it". But thing is when you hear it all the time - you do start to slowly learn. And it's not that Shakil didn't want me to learn it, he did. I'd love to learn and God willing one day I will. I understand a hell of a lot more than I did 2 years ago. So that's progress. Little by little, I'll make the steps.

So when I look back at how something started so horrible by my husband being forced out of a country he had made his life for over 10 years....it really turned out quite well for us. There was a lot of hell and I do mean A LOT of hell we had to endure during the 2 1/2 years of waiting but I wouldn't change a thing. Our marriage is even stronger because of it. I know more about the Pakistani culture and look at our beautiful daughter, Sara that was born in Pakistan. We have so much to be thankful for and I will never take as much for granted like I used to. Life is so short and we really need to live each day to the fullest. Make the most of your life, get out and travel if you can, learn other cultures - it's wonderful!

So on that note....

Until later...

Bye for now.

1 Comments:

Blogger pixie said...

It's funny because so many people do have a negative view of Pakistan. I think it was great that you got to view the country where he was from and his family.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home