Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Trip to the U.S. Consulate

Today baby Sara had her appt at the U.S. Consulate for her U.S. passport, social security card and certificate of birth abroad. My Mom, Shakil, baby Sara and I all went. The security is really beefed up around the consulate which I can understand. We first went into one building where we had to send our stuff through the scanner and go through a metal detector. They entered some stuff off of Shakil's passport into the computer and told us to go the other building - that is the main building. They would not allow my Mom to go with us and we had to leave her in this tiny little waiting area. They also wouldn't allow us to take Sara in her infant carrier which really pissed me off. She was peacefully sleeping and so content. I had to unbuckle her out of it and get her out.

We proceeded to walk over to the other building. It was absolutely freezing inside. Thank goodness I had a blanket with Sara. We had to go to another waiting area and just sit. Baby Sara was doing great for about 15 minutes then she started to get cranky. She'd calm down and then start it up again. I fed her before leaving so I was hoping she'd stay content - so not the case. We were called to submit the forms, etc. and then had to wait some more. During this time Sara became even more fussy. Shakil went back to the other building where my diaper bag was with my Mom and got Sara a bottle. She cried the ENTIRE time Shakil was gone to get the bottle. People were turning around kind of glaring at me - well geez, what do you expect me to do dammit? Daddy is getting her bottle is what I was thinking. The lady behind me said, "she's hungry!" Well DUH!!!!!!!! Like I don't know what my baby needs. I spend 24 hours/7 days a week with her.

Shakil returned back with the bottle and I started to feed Sara. She was taking the bottle per normal and I burped her midway through it. I gave her some more and she was taking it as if she wanted more - then up it came. She started to puke and managed to spew some over on daddy's shirt - not too much though. After her little puke she settled down and slept the rest of the time. Shortly thereafter they called us to the window. I signed the forms in the officers presence and she said her passport would be there in 2 weeks time - much quicker than we though. Baby Sara will have dual citizenship.

Everything else is going fine. My MIL, FIL and BIL are still in Karachi so its been nice and quiet here in the house.

Will baby Sara and I be returning back to the states? That is the question right now and what Shakil and I are dealing with.

Until later...

Bye for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger ayalguita said...

Oh I can understand you when you didn't like to take sara of her carrier, it is so annoying when they are sleeping and we are forced to wake them up. It is great Sara have dual citizenship. Nuria probably will have it as well, but being european is not as important, but obviously dh wants her to ahve british passport.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Gulperi said...

IT is definitely annoying when people say thing that are evident. aghh! Congrats on her getting a dual citizenship! Do what you and Shakil feel is right, right now.. that is to go to the states or not. If you do decide to, I pray that Shakil will soon follow you back. It is a tough decision. >hugs<

12:00 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Tara - I am so glad everything went well. And I am surprise that Sara's passport will be ready so soon!

Lots of hugs and Take care!

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home