Saturday, August 06, 2005

When it rains it pours...

Last week I took a couple of days off of work and found out just how much better I felt not having to deal with the stresses/pressures that they were putting on me. I had decided on the day I was going to go back that I'd mention to my boss about lowering my hours. Well the night before I intended to go back - my boss called me here at home. I was completely honest with her and told her about all the stress/pressure I was feeling. She didn't seem to be the least bit sympathetic at all - which I expected with her. She expects you to still go into work even if you have 101 or 102 fever. Anyway, to make a long story short, she told me that she could no way lower my hours or make any alterations to my position. I informed her that I would not be returning to my job. It has been such a big relief ever since I left this job. I've actually been able to relax and no more of that LONG hellacious drive to work/back.

Thursday night I was able to spend quite a bit of time voice chatting with Shakil and it was so nice. The connection seemed to be very good. We kept alternating between MSN, Yahoo and Skype but yahoo seemed to work the best at that time. I also got to talk to my mother-in-law via voice chat and that was especially nice. It was actually the first time I've talked to her since I found out I was pregnant - which btw I hit 12 weeks last Thursday. Shakil and I chatted until way past 1:30 a.m. my time. Then he got d/c and I just called it a night and headed onto bed.

Shortly after I finished chatting with him I started to feel that a tooth of mine was giving me some pain - nothing bad but it sure was noticeable. The pain just started to get progressively worse and worse until it became unbearable. I tried sleeping and I was just tossing and turning. It seems that a toothache feels even worse when you try to lay down - I don't know why that is but it sucks. About 5 a.m. I couldn't take the pain anymore and I proceeded to wake up my Mom and I told her that I was having some really bad tooth pain. I wanted to use her bathtub (she has a big jacuzzi tub) so I could try to relax a bit and there is a t.v. in there too to take my mind off of things. All I really wanted was some really hot water and I've heard that soaking in a hot bathtub is not good for baby. So I basically sat in luke warm water - which was better than nothing.

After I got out I was just shivering and my teeth were 'a chattering and that didn't make matters any better. I went ahead and stayed up and my Mom stayed up with me too. I just had about 1 1/2 hours to go until my dentist office opened up. I pretty much just layed on the sofa with a warm compress on my face - that was the only thing that was helping alleviate some of that pain. The tooth was throbbing off and on and that pain was just becoming more than unbearable. Finally 7 a.m. rolled around and I proceeded to start calling my dentist - but they didn't answer. I kept calling until 7:45 a.m. and they still didn't answer. I told my Mom, "my luck - they are probably closed today". She knew how much pain I was in and she said we should just head on over there - so we did. Right when we pulled up I noticed that no one was there. We both just couldn't believe it because they open at 7 a.m. Monday-Friday. I burst into tears saying, "What am I going to do now???"

On our way home I started thinking of what I could do next. I thought that I could call my OB and she could get me started on some antibiotics. I knew that this tooth was abscessed and that is all the dentist would do is start me on a round of antibiotics - but I sure needed something for the pain as well. I put a call into my OB nurse and she called back and I told her the story and they were going to get with my OB and see what could be done. During this time the nurse from my dentist office called and said she would call me in some antibiotics but since I was pregnant she needed to know what my OB sees is safe for me to take. Called back my OB again and told them that they dentist just needs to know what is safe for me to take. They told me that they were waiting to hear from my OB - she was in with patients and they'd call me back.

Of course I'm just sitting on pins and needles at this point. I can't relax, I can't do shit because my f'ing mouth hurts so bad. Excuse the lang but that was how I felt - like shit! Plus, I hadn't slept in over 24 hours at this point. The nurse at my OB called back and told me that my OB is calling in an antibiotic and some pain med. THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! The nurse said she'd call it in right then. My Mom and I headed over to the pharmacy and this point you'd THINK that my Rx would have been called in - hell no!!! I had to call back my OB office yet AGAIN and they kept me on hold for over 10 minutes and I think I still would have been on hold but I hung up. At this point, yep, you got it - I burst into tears again at the pharmacy. I just wanted some damn medicine to ease my pain!!!!!!!! My Mom got the pharmacist to call my doc and they were able to get through. 5 minutes later which seemed like half an hour to me I finally had my medicine.

My doc prescribed me some Augmentin and for pain she gave me Vicodin. I was bit shocked to see that she prescribed Vicodin and I sure was nervous about taking it. I knew if my OB didn't think it was safe she wouldn't have given it to me. I popped one of those bad boys into my mouth as soon as I got into the car. She told me that I could take 1 Vicodin every 4 to 6 hours for the pain. When I got home I immediately got into bed and tried to get some sleep - so not the case. You'd think after some pain med I'd be able to sleep but I couldn't. 1 hour passed by and I was still feeling so much pain. I popped my antibiotic and had to wait a few more hours to take anymore pain med. I think I did start to doze off every now and then but I knew it was going to be a long night.

Last night I was having to take that Vicodin every 4 hours. At 5:30 a.m. I was starting to feel some relief - I guess because I had some more antibiotics in my system. I went into the restroom, turned on the light and saw my face. The whole right side of my face was completely swollen. It is actually swollen all the way up to my right eye. I look like stroke patient because of the way my mouth is with all the swelling. Very scary indeed. I told Shakil that I look like a freak. Here it is after 10 p.m. now and my face is STILL swollen. I've been using cold compresses on it - off and on. Hopefully it will be better by tomorrow. *sigh*

Until later...

Bye for now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Hey Tara

Sorry about the tooth pain. I know how that is. I hope you feel better soon. BTW, did you get the book, "What to Expect when you are Expecting?" They have TONS of info on everything. Marian bought me a copy of it (along with "What to Expect the first year"). So if you need some questions answered, just let me know. Its a great book. Mo is even reading it! And I am not even preggo yet LOL!!! ;)

Love and miss you!!!

2:41 AM  
Blogger ayalguita said...

oh Tara I'm so sorry you had such a pain, My dh had his tooth infected for many years and he was so stubborn he wouldn't go to the dentist, his mum just gave him clove oil as remedy and prayed on him, like that was going ot cure it completely! So when I married him I literally forced him to go dentist and they took the tooth out, and believe me, he had such a relief! But until he had everything done he was in lot of pain all the time. Oh by the way, congratulations on leaving your job, you will be much better now!

4:52 AM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

Hope you get to feeling better!

1:07 PM  
Blogger pghjezebel said...

Poor Tara! I hope you feel better!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home