Monday, October 24, 2005

Aftershocks still?/updates

Everything is fine but Shakil asked me if I felt the earthquake during the night. I thought "what"???? It seems that Shakil even felt it in the building he works at. He does work on an upper level so maybe that is why he felt the jolts. I didn't feel anything here at all. I'm glad I didn't because it probably would have startled me being alone and knowing Shakil was at work.

I've heard that we might feel these aftershocks for several months. I never realized that aftershocks went on that long. Hasn't the country already been through enough? I know we don't have any control over it all - what's gonna happen is gonna happen, right? I guess all we can do is say a prayer in hopes that it all comes to an end.

In other news, my grandmother who was 89, passed away just a few days ago. I was sorry that I couldn't be there for the funeral services. I did get to see her before I left and I hope she knew I was there - she had not been herself after a bad fall and hitting her head. She had a long life and will be missed.

Seems my MIL still and won't understand that I need more than 5 minutes notice before attending any Iftari's. 3 days in row and even after Shakil saying something to her - she still does it. Sheesh. Fil and Bil are back from Karachi and when I said that I wouldn't be attending tonight (it was literally 3 minutes before they were walking out the door) Fil said, "ok - you're not going" and he let it go!! Go FiL!!!!!!!!! It was so nice not having to argue!!

The food here is slowly starting to get on my nerves. I do have my favorites here but MIL thinks that there has to be a 1 inch layer of oil on everything in order for it to taste good - what the hell??? She also enjoys doing lots of frying - which we all know is not healthy!! I've been refraining from much of her cooking and just sort of eating something on my own. Today she did make a dish of shrimp, veggies and noodles that turned out nicely. I'm having to watch my salt intake though because my blood pressure ran borderline on my last OB visit. I'll be going in 3 times this week just for a blood pressure check. Gotta keep a check on it.

Good movie on right now or I'd type up some more random thoughts. :-)

Until later...

Bye for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aisha said...

desi food if cooked with crazy amount of ghee can be so incredibly bad for you. Is it possible for you to cook your own meals so you can control the quantity of oil going in?

12:58 PM  
Blogger rabiaiman said...

hmmmm i may have an idea. y not go to an iftar and look like u just put ur self together in 5 min. u may not feel or look so great BUT mil of course will want u looking like a million bucks to u know "show ya off" soooooooo when everyone will ask what is up with her bahoo (dil) not looking so good, maybe she will give ya that extra hour or two to get ready. also, i am sorry to hear about ur grandmother.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home