Saturday, September 24, 2005

I'm in Pakistan!!

I made it to Pakistan!!!

I arrived into Houston from Dallas at about 5 to 5:30 p.m. I went to straight to the PIA (Pakistan International Airlines) check in counter which was not as close of walk as I thought from where I arrived with Continental. So picture this - I'm the only white girl standing in line at the PIA counter. Everyone is looking me like, "what the heck is she doing"? "is she lost"? "in the wrong line"? I just grin and bare it. It really wasn't that bad since I was relatively early and the line wasn't very long at all. I'm amazed at what all these people take to Pak though. I just had my 2 pieces of luggage that were 70 pounds each - isn't that all you are allowed?? Seems like they are taking everything but the kitchen sink. (little phrase my Mom kept using when I was paking). :-)

Got all checked in and learned that the flight was FULL - wasn't happy to hear that but the seat next to me was still vacant thank goodness. I had a window seat which turned out to be quite nice. Headed to the international terminal and grabbed me some Subway. I managed to eat an entire foot long all by myself. I was going to save the other half for later on the flight - I ate it all though. I hadn't eaten since the night before so I was quite hungry.

My flight to Pak got delayed slightly. We were supposed to depart at 8 p.m. but we didn't leave until well after 9:30 p.m. The flight crew was running late due to the impending hurricane and the traffic was horrible in the downtown Houston area. They finally made it and I was on my way to Pakistan. I can remember sitting there right before we took off. I was just staring out the window looking at all the lights thinking "wonder when I'll make it back here"? The plane took off and a couple of tears ran down my face. I'm quite emotional these days and I think anything would get to me. It's the uncertainty that gets me the most. I have no idea when Shakil and I will make it back to the U.S. I sure hope it's sooner than later.

We did have 1 stopover in Manchester where you have to get off the plane and go through security again (which makes NO sense to me at all) why do we have to go through security again? It's just b.s. to me. The layover was only about 45 minutes which isn't bad at all. After leaving Manchester we headed to Karachi - we didn't have to get off the plane in Karachi. Seemed like we were in Karachi for over an hour or so. But when sitting on a plane, I'm sure it seems longer. The plane took off in Karachi and we were on our way to Lahore!! I was getting very excited at this point. I couldn't wait to see Shakil. It has been over 3 months since we had seen each other.

We landed in Lahore and I could feel the butterflies in my stomach. I was so excited and anxious to see Shakil. I got off the plane as quickly as I could and headed to immigration. Zoomed on through that and as soon as I walked out of immigration there was a porter that came over to me and said "Ms. Tara"? I had no idea who he was and he proceeded to tell me that Shakil had sent him in to look for me and claim my bags. I know I didn't need to be lifting 70 pounds while pregnant and Shakil had hooked me up with this guy to help me out. I was very grateful. This little guy knew quite a bit of English and just chatted and chatted with me. He didn't look a day over 15 and was very sweet. He walked me outside and there was my hubby!!!!! He came over to me and directed us to where the car was. I know I had permagrin on my face by this point. I also knew I was in Pakistan by the smell (which isn't a sweet smell). I made it. :-)

Shakil drove me home and it was about 5:30 a.m. or so when we arrived. It was already light outside. He and I stayed up chatting in our bedroom until well after 11 a.m. then we went downstairs so I could see my mother-in-law. She seemed happy to see me and she cooked Shakil and I an omelette which tasted very good. I was hungry again. We chatted some more and headed back upstairs to get some sleep. Shakil had to be at work by 5 p.m. and he has a 12 hour shift on Friday nights. He needed some sleep just as much as I did. We both dozed off and I didn't awake until he was getting ready for work. I guess I slept for about 3 hours or so. He left for work at 4:30 p.m. and I slept until about 1 a.m. Here it is after 2 a.m. and I'm typing up this blog. I'm ready for Shakil to get home. I won't have much time with him until his days off which are Tuesday through Friday. He goes back in Friday night. So I guess 4 days a week isn't bad - the rest of the time he'll spend with me which is fantastic!! :-)

Well seems there is a good movie that just came on. I think I'm going to try and round up some food or fruit - just something and lay down and watch. I'll be back around soon!

Until later...

Bye for now.

5 Comments:

Blogger pghjezebel said...

So happy you made it there safetly!!! That was very sweet of Shakil to have someone come fetch you and your bags. I'm glad you have someone "taking care of you". Hugs!

7:06 AM  
Blogger ayalguita said...

Hi Tara, IO'm so happy you finally made it to Pakistan, now you can be so happy with your haubby!:) Take care!

11:53 AM  
Blogger bellywalker said...

Glad to hear that you had a safe trip and that you're back with Shakil :)

5:15 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

Glad to hear you're safe and sound in Pakistan. Must feel good to be together again. Are you there permanently now?

9:08 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Thanks for all the comments guys! It feels GREAT being with my hubby again!!!!

Aisha - permanent for now I guess. We're going back after Shakil gets his visa God willing.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home