Saturday, October 15, 2005

Updates/my food handling issues!!!

Update about the past few days first - Shakil took me out to Pizza Hut Tuesday night for Iftar. Now Iftar was about 5:40 p.m. -ish and we arrived at the Pizza Hut at about 5:30 p.m. - BIG mistake!! The entire restaurant was packed!!! There was not one seat to be had. Shakil talked to the guy taking names and he said it would be 6:30 p.m. before we could be seated. Since me being a lady they told me I could go wait inside where the waiting area is - well I told Shakil he'd have to come with me - I wasn't just going to sit there alone. They let us go wait and it was wasn't long that they came offering bottled water for us, dates, etc. Then shortly after that they came by with piping hot pizza - yum!! They gave me a slice but I just had a bite and gave the rest to Shakil since he was the one fasting - not me.

We finally got called to be seated and Shakil asked the guy if it was non-smoking and the guy said yes but the funny thing was that he tried to seat us at this little table for 2 where some woman - yes a woman (you don't see that here very often) - was just smoking away. What the hell???? I of course started bitching and Shakil got us moved to another table. Well the next table they took us to was a table for 2 as well but right in the middle of the room - I wanted a booth damnit!!! So Shakil was sweet enough to ask the guys that had just been seated as well in a booth if they'd switch with us and they did. :-)

The pizza was especially good and it was all you can eat with salad as well. Salad here in Pakistan can mean many things. When I think of salad I think of a nice green salad with veggies and some salad dressing - well not here. Salad here can just be tomatoes/cucumbers and onions which I like don't get me wrong. It also can mean a salad that is just filled with cholas and other spices, etc. My point being that there are many types of salads here - which I just love. Especially the salad at Pizza Hut.

We finally were able to retrieve the new shalwar kameez and sample I had given from the tailor. But unfortunately its not quite right yet. This tailor is a pain in the ass - we're not using him anymore. Shakil took it back for alterations - we shall see what he's done. The tailor claims he didn't know it was supposed to be maternity.

We attended Iftar another evening over at Shakil's grandparents and the food was very good. I wasn't feeling too good with heartburn so I was quite hesitant on what I ate - which is hard to do because everyone is trying to get you to eat more or have more, etc. The sweets were good and those settled just fine - don't they always? ;-)

Now about the food handling issues here that are riding my nerves big time. My MIL sometimes has no concept of putting food in an airtight container. She sometimes just covers the dish or bowl with a plate and puts it in the fridge. Which I guess isn't too bad. My main issue is how she just leaves meat or chicken I should say just sitting out on the counter to thaw - not good! She claims she is going to be using it quickly but I still think you should thaw in the fridge or run some cool water over it to thaw. It's still pretty hot here with high's in the 90's so I don't think leaving on the counter is good at all.

MIL also loves to serve leftovers for several days. I'm having to pay special attention to how long something has been held over. I guess they are just used to it here and it doesn't get them sick - but I really can't get sick being pregnant and all. There was some chicken tikka in the fridge that had been held over for more than a week and Shakil at it on Friday and it made him sick. He had several trips to the toilet and some major indigestion. He even called in sick to work because of it. You tell MIL that she shouldn't hold the food over for so long and the first thing I hear coming out of her mouth is "nahin, nahin, nahin" meaning "no, no, no" she just never agrees with anything in regards to food or food handling I should say. Ok I'm done complaining. :-)

Shakil is back to work this evening and he seems to be feeling better after the more than week old chicken. I'm glad I didn't eat any of it. It really would have backfired on me. :-( Today MIL cooked Mutton Qeema is what it looked like (won't be eating that) and she also cooked Chicken Karahi - note to self - today is October 15th. Just keeping check on how old it is or will get. I didn't eat Karahi as I'm having issues with chicken with bones these days. I had a boneless chicken burger for dinner and it was quite tasty! Did the job for me.

Until later...

Bye for now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Baji said...

LOL. My MIL does the same thing with keeping leftovers for such a long time. I learned a lot in he beginning about how wasteful I really was with throwing away alot of my leftovers and all. So now I respect food more and save more, but to a point. I've seen my hubby get sick too many times for the same reasons.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

As someone who had a nasty bout of food poisioning once let me advise you to waddle away as quickly as you can from anything questionable!

It was bad enough just being that sick, can't imagine being sick like that and expecting.

Now I want Pizza Hut...

4:55 PM  
Blogger The DP said...

My mother in law is good about throwing stuff away after three days, but one of my brothers in law will eat something with mold growing on it, and then complain and wonder why his stomach hurts (oh yeah, this is also because "we don't cook for him enough and he was starving", like it would be a pain in the butt for him to like actually cook for himself. I mean hi.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Jaycie said...

I was just at my husband's aunt's house and she was keeping potato salad and things for like... WEEKS. Oh yeah.. uncovered in the fridge. My mil used to do the plate thing all the time here and also leaving things out on the table all day long. Be careful don't get sick! I was just sick here and while it was only for a day and it wasn't even that bad just achy and chills.. don't know what I ate maybe some potato salad. :P Anyway I thought oh to be sick in Pakistan.. I would just CRY! I would want to be home sooooo bad. I told my husband who insisted that it would actually be better to be sick in Pakistan. yeah right! Sometimes... he is a waki paki. :P

1:25 AM  
Blogger rabiaiman said...

oh noooooooooooooooo................i do the same thing with the plate over the dish and put it in the fridge. its just so much easier to do that then get out the reynolds wrap :P

9:34 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Rabiaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! What the heck???????????? LOL

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home