Friday, September 30, 2005

End of a weekend

I think it’s about time for me to update about life here in Pakiland as I call it. The weekend is over for me even though it really has just started. It’s about 4 a.m. here on Saturday. I follow Shakil’s work schedule and the weekend is over for him on Friday – starts back on Tuesday.

The weekend was nice here even though the temps here are still pretty high – in the 90’s. I stay in the a/c a good part of the day – ok maybe not a good part of it – all day. I usually don’t get out until its evening time. It’s just cooler. Shakil, MIL and I went to go visit a relative that just had a baby girl. The mother had her by c-section so she is still recovering. The baby is just precious. She looked so tiny even though she weighed in over 7 ½ pounds. Just gets me even more excited about being a mommy soon!!

Baby Shak as I still call my baby (even though it’s a girl) that is growing inside me turned 20 weeks on Thursday!! I’m halfway through my pregnancy. Shakil, MIL and I took some fabric I already had here to be tailored. We took it in the evening and it was ready the following evening. Now that’s service. He did a really great job and left some allowance for my growing tummy. Shakil also bought me a pair of really cute sandals for a whopping $10. Shoes here can be so cheap and there are so many styles. Styles and availability change in the U.S. where it seems sandals (even white ones) are available year round here. I would have had a hell of ‘a time finding white sandals this time of the year at any stores at home.

We went to the local McDonalds here in Lahore. I really don’t like McDonalds that much in the U.S. but its funny how it starts to taste so good when you are in another country. We just crave the things that aren’t so readily available here – McDonalds being one of my cravings I guess. I had the McArabia sandwich - grilled chicken with tomatoes, onions and some dressing in a warm flatbread. I just have one word – YUM!! No McArabia available at home!!

We also visited Shakil’s grandfather over the weekend. There were some other relatives over there and we were all just sitting around the table when one of them asks me, “how do you like living in a terrorist country”? I still laugh at that. It was just so out of the blue. I answered with “I don’t see Pakistan as a terrorist country – I just live my life here – I don’t want to live in fear – if something is going to happen, it’s going to happen – something can happen anywhere – not just Pakistan”.

Shakil is having a headboard made for our bed. We went to pick out the leather that is going to go on it. When Shakil first told me leather I thought – what??? leather on a headboard?? I did have some naughty thoughts but I have seen what it looks like and it looks very nice.

MIL is still shoveling the food down me. This evening she brought me Chicken Manchurian w/rice for dinner. There was cucumber/tomato salad on the side. It was a very tasty dinner – I was very full afterwards and even felt a bit sick. No more than 2 hours later she starts talking about brining me more food. I told her, “no, no – I’m very full”. She would say, “yes it’s good for you”. There is no arguing with her – waste of time. She heads out the bedroom and about 20 minutes later she returns with a big container of banana milkshake, fried chicken croquettes filled with some veggies/cheese and some fried chicken drumsticks. Not so healthy either!!! I managed to eat a couple of croquettes and then she managed to get me to eat 2 drumsticks. Sheesh!!! I admit my appetite has increased a bit – but not that much!!! I know she means well but she’s going to have to lay off a bit with the food.

The cable here is great and it seems to be getting better and better. There is always something good on t.v. for me to watch. We have HBO and my fav channels are Star World/Star Movies. Star World even plays my fav soap in the U.S. - The Bold and the Beautiful everyday at 5 p.m.

I’m waiting for Shakil to get home after his Friday night 12 hour shift. I’m amazed at how fresh he still looks after he gets home. I’d be a raving bitch after 12 hours of working – yes I’m pregnant and that doesn’t help – but still.

Until later…

Bye for now.

8 Comments:

Blogger Aisha said...

happy to hear how happy you are:)

9:32 PM  
Blogger Jaycie said...

Sounds like you are adjusting quickly. Don't let mil feed you too much! I know how that is.. I don't know what is worse living with mil during pregnancy or after pregnancy when you're trying to LOSE weight.. but they keep insisting that you should eat two parathas because afterall.. you are breastfeeding. I think I lost 10 lbs in a week after my mil left! lol but man.. I sure miss those parathas........ :P

12:54 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

We have the McArabia here and yes, it is very good!! I think there is another thing they make that is not available in the US...have to think about it. Do you have Hardee's in Pakiland? IT IS SO GOOD!!! We also have TGI Friday's, Applebees, Chili's, and Fudruckers as well. It is nice seeing them when all the rest of the time you see Falafel and Sharawma.

Glad to read that you are settling in Pakiland ok. Word to the wise: If your MIL starts giving you more food, just pass it on to Shak. That boys' stomach is like a black hole...there is no end to it ;) lol

Miss and Love ya!

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are settling in good :)!

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he he he...I had to eat a bowl of cereal at 5:00 am EVERY morning b/c I'd wake up STARVING during my last months....Isn't it weird?

7:54 AM  
Blogger pghjezebel said...

You and Layla are making me far too hungry talking about this McArabia!!! Glad to see you are settling in. :)

8:00 AM  
Blogger camilla said...

I am glad too that you are happy & eating well. I am sure being there with your hubby helps you relax alot. The only time I could eat all I want and not worry about gaining weight was during my pregnancy but doctor advised me not to overdo it because of my gastric problem. Take care Tara.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, tell us how Ramadan goes in Pakistan. I spent one there once....I'd like to hear what you think?

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home