Monday, October 03, 2005

Is my hubby the only one??

**No offense honey on the 1st paragraph**

You know I guess I had really forgotten or set aside how much food my hubby can consume in one sitting. It’s rather funny actually. Colleen made a comment about his stomach being a black hole. She knows Shakil and how he is – she is the one that set us up 2 ½ years ago – yikes, it’s been that long already – time goes by so quickly. Anyways, my point is that anytime we sit down for a meal he eats everything on his plate. If we are having chicken with bones in it, he literally takes off alllllll of the meat and proceeds to almost start nawing on the bone. Many times I have had to slap his hand and say, “you’re finished – it’s all gone”! He’ll take his index finger and run it around the plate or bowl to get every last drop of whatever is left. Do any of your hubbies or significant others do this? Is it just a Paki thing or what?? I see many Paki’s here doing the exact same thing. Ha ha ha.

The past several days I have done nothing but sleep, sleep and more sleep. Like this evening I fell asleep at 5 p.m. and didn’t wake up until after 2 a.m. Shakil comes home at 5 a.m. and then I’ll end up going back to sleep with him no problem. I don’t get it and have even started to wonder if maybe I’m low on iron or something. I’ve read that pregnant women can have low iron. Maybe I just need to have that checked out when I see the OB.

Last night MIL came up to our bedroom – Shakil was at work – and told me that we were being called over to a relatives. She asked me if I was going and of course I said yes – I had nothing else better going on. I would have just slept the evening away. Next she comes with “what are you going to wear”? Well geez we just had some new shalwar kameez made for me – I’m sure I’d be wearing one of those. I go to the cupboard and pull out one of the purple colored ones and MIL says, “no, no not that one – wear this blue one”. Is it THAT big ‘a deal?? Every time we get ready to go somewhere it’s like this and now I’m at the point to where I just laugh about it. It’s really not a big deal but I just find it funny that it happens every time we go somewhere.

We headed over to one of Shakil’s mamu’s. (mamu meaning Mom’s brother) For all of us English speaking folk – it’s his uncle. There wasn’t a lot of people there and we just sat down for a bit and then I was served a very tasty pasta dish. I told her just a smallllllll amount because I wasn’t hungry. Here in Pakistan it’s best to just go ahead and have at least some because they’ll just keep on with you if you don’t. They then served me some very nice fresh squeezed juice. That is one of the things I love about Pakistan – you always get to have some fresh squeezed juice. It’s very common to go visiting and you are served some tasty juice – yummy!

No more than 15 minutes after I forced myself to eat the pasta dish – not that it wasn’t good – I was just so damn full already. I had dinner about 2 hours prior. So I’m sitting there and Shakil’s mami comes and says “Dinner is ready – let’s go”. I’m sure my mouth dropped at that point because I thought “what the hell??? I just ate”!! See – here we go again with the food issue!!! We headed into the kitchen and I had some of the Chinese dish – very small portion and they seemed to be satisfied with that! Ha ha. That Chinese was damn good though.

This afternoon over lunch my MIL claims I had some goat feet and stomach while I was there. Whaaaaaaaaaaaa???? She kept saying “remember that curry you had”? I KNOW I didn’t have any curry but she thinks I did. I think I’d know if I was eating goat feet and stomach. Oh my God – just the thought makes me ill!!!! I cannot and I refuuuuuuuuuuse to eat goat feet or stomach!!! Not happenin’!

On that note – that’s all for now!

Until later...

Bye for now.

11 Comments:

Blogger Aisha said...

i know what you mean about being stuffed like a turkey on thanksgiving when dealing with pakistani relatives. i just went to south carolina where hubbz extended family lives and i'm pretty sure we've each gained 5 pounds. they are never satisfied till you've stuffed yourself silly. HAHA about the paya (goats feet). I also inadvertently ate it and hubz had a fun time describing what I ate. *shudder* never again!!!!

10:38 PM  
Blogger The DP said...

My husband, who looks like what my grandmother would have called a string bean, has a bottomless pit of a stomach. The man's capacity to eat is awe-inspiring. Afterwards, he looks like something off of the discovery channel, one of those snakes that ate a rodent whole or something. also, my husband believes that the baraka in the food, you don't know where it is, so you have to eat everything on your plate (even licking it) in case you miss the baraka.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Baji said...

Hi! Hope that you are doing well. I have been reading your journal with well wishes for some time.

My husband is the same way! I was mortified the first time I saw him eat chicken. Then I heard "crunch". He chews the bones! And the whole licking the plate thing-don't get me started...
And, regarding the choosing of the cupre, my MIL does the same thing-NO, no not thaaat one. I swear, I'll never be able to figure out which Shalwar Kameez is the right one :-)

12:43 PM  
Blogger pghjezebel said...

Amir is all about cleaning off his plate too. But at least he doesn’t gnaw on the bones when he actually eats meat. I think he knows Id be totally grossed out if he did. :)

His trademark move is: all meals are eaten with at least 3 pieces of some sort of bread, and sweet/hot chili sauce, and lets not forget the ketchup. He tried to put ketchup/salad dressing on perogies last night.

But Im with ya on the no goat feet or stomach! Then again, I dont eat meat at all!

Hugs to you Tara!

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some guy is knocking you on your hubby's blog.....thought I'd give you a heads up!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Tara

Girl, I think its a Paki thang. Mo doesn't chew on the bones or lick the plate. He even leaves a little bit of food on the plate!!! Can you believe that??? Shak always cracked me up whenever we went out for dinner. Remember Jungle Hut? That boy and I had a kinda game to see who could eat more...and I lost BIG TIME! Remember when the 3 of us went to that Chinese restaraunt? That was fun :) lol. Oh good times!!!

Did you find a OB there yet? Don't you procras about it!!! ;)

YOU HAD GOAT FEET AND STOMACH?!?! Oh say it isn't so!!!! I hope your MIL was just pulling ur leg and making a joke. I am sick just thinkin of it. But here, Egyptians eat PENIS!!! OH YES MAAM!

Anyways, it looks like you are having a good time (minus the goat). What is Ramadan like over there?

Love you lots!

3:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband sucks the bones too ha ha. It used to sick me out ha ha ha. I had never eaten anything with bones in it before, minus some fried chicken, so the pakistani food took some adjusting to...especially picking the bones out ha ha. Now it's all ok for me.

As for the clothes thing, you gotta figure out which ones are for inside the house and which ones are for outside the house. It took me a while to get it too. But, I would suggest figuring it out really soon, or your mil will start getting on your nerves sending you back up to your room to change. ;) Trust me, been there ha ha. Do you have any sil's? If not, have your mil explain which ones are "fancy" and which ones are for inside the house. Then seperate them in your closet so you can chose what you want for which occasion. Alright, hope your doing good!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tara, now "Tom's" at it on my blog....I don't even know where he is getting that you were making fun of your husbands name? WHAT??? It's on my entry title Blog Hopping. I don't know why he's talking about you everywhere else but here on your own blog. He's a strange one for sure.

5:42 PM  
Blogger mystic-soul said...

Yes we pakistani males love Paya (goat feet), we love to chew bones and if allowed will lick plate...(Probably we die early of high cholestrol but with full stomach)..

To add other specials Nihari, boti kabab, bihari kabab, Katakat, Sajji, lachhedar haleem, chote ki biryani, lassi....yum yum yum

oops I am hungry again..!!!

(God bless little life inside you..Aameen)

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mystic soul that is funny ha ha ha.....you boys can eat anything...it's hilarious!

9:10 AM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

lol....yup....wiping the plate clean. I'm always amazed at how they do it. I can never get all the sauce up. The thing that always gets me is the sucking of bone marrow out of the goat bones. That sound just gets me! I will admit i tried it once in private to see if it was good or just another cleaning the plate thing and the stuff is just as gross as it sounds...

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home