Monday, October 10, 2005

Earthquake!

Shakil and I were awoken at about 8:50 a.m. on the morning of the quake. The bed was shaking and it wasn't like it was shaking from someone just moving around too much - it was an all together different shake. Shakil and I were literally sliding to the end of the bed. I began to laugh - yes that sounds weird but I think I was just shocked. We were awoken out of a sound sleep to this. Shakil kept looking around the room and I got out of the bed and stood on the floor. The entire ground was shaking and the whole house was shaking as well. It didn't last long but long enough. We managed to go back to sleep and when we woke up we saw all the headlines on t.v. about what had happened.

So many lives lost and I've heard that the death toll is up to 25,000 and so many people homeless and not knowing where to turn. Most have lost everything - including family members. It breaks my heart to see all the devastation on t.v. Areas that already were so poverty striken have been wiped out. Just horrible - there really are no words for this.

My prayers go out to everyone who may have lost a loved one and hoping that lives can be rebuilt. I think we should all be so thankful for what we have - something or someone can be taken from you so quickly.

That brings me to how Shakil was late coming home from work last night - by 1 hour. He had called me at 10 p.m. telling me he'd be home at 2:30 a.m. and he didn't show up until 3:30 a.m. I think he thinks I'm nuts because I got angry with him. I told him if he's going to be running late - to please call. Things happen over here and everywhere all the time and I just think it's common courtesy to let me know. I was worried for that entire hour - just waiting to hear his honk at the gate to be let in by the watchman. When I heard that honk - a sense of relief came over me. I may just be overly concerned or whatever but that's how I feel. We all wanna keep our loved ones safe and we don't want anything to happen to them - ever!

Last night there was Iftar over at Shakil's Khalas (khala meaning Mom's sister) or his aunt for us English speaking folk again. I went with my FIL, MIL and BIL over there. They had pakoras, jellibee, samosas, sandwiches, etc. I was of course full after eating on that stuff but then about 30 minutes later we had dinner. Dinner consisted of nihari, some goat (which I won't eat) and pulao (or at least I think that is what it was). We stayed for a bit and headed home. I like for Shakil to take me for a drive in the evenings when he's not working but my FIL topped it - he took us for a nice long drive. I enjoyed it. Shakil is always wanting to cut the drive short. He's out more than I am so it's not a big deal to him.

Tonight Iftar was at home. MIL prepared some shrimp dish but I wasn't too fond of it. It really didn't have much spice. There was some chicken curry that I did have. She had leftover Chicken Manchurian on the table but I've had enough of that for a while.

Tomorrow night Shakil is taking me to Pizza Hut for Iftar - just he and I - no inlaws!!! They are having an all you can eat pizza buffet for Iftar. I'm really looking forward to it because I've really been wanting some pizza and the salad there rocks!!! :-)

Until later...

Bye for now.

4 Comments:

Blogger pghjezebel said...

Im so happy you guys are alright! Oh, and about him being late, I do the same thing with Amir. It must be a man thing, cause not many men I know think to update their wives on how late they will be. Trust me, I have 4 brothers...lol Hugs!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

i'm glad you guys are okay. are u in lahore?

10:02 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

you felt it in lahore??? crazy!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Baji said...

How scary! I am so glad that you and your loved ones are well.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home