Saturday, October 22, 2005

Last minute Iftar's/walking...

Ever since Ramadan started Iftar timings have been an issue - what I mean by timings is last minute timing to leave for somewhere. We do have Iftar here at home sometimes but there times when we go out - over to relatives or meet up at a restaurant. It seems that a relative likes to give us a call last minute and tell us what the evening entails. Even then, you really don't know. What really gets my blood boiling is when MIL might get a call in the morning time and then neglects to even tell me there are Iftar plans in the evening.

Let me use today as an example because it realllllllllly pissed me off!!! There were some phone calls this morning because Shakil answered on 2 different occasions so that could have been when the invite occurred and I just wasn't told. Shakil was leaving for work, it was about 4:30 p.m. I was in some comfy pajama pants, hair pulled back and in a tshirt - definitely not proper Iftari attire!! 5 p.m. rolls around and there is a knock on my bedroom door - I automatically think "it's MIL"!! She starts saying outside of the door "Tara - are you coming"??? "Tara - are you coming"?? I'm thinking "going where"?? "nobody has told me shit"!! I open the door and she is quite ancy - everyone gets ancy when its close to Iftar - it's like that was all she could get out of her mouth was "are you coming"??? I proceeded to tell her no and apparently that wasn't the answer she was looking for. She then started saying "yes - you are coming"! and I would say "no thank you - I'm not going" and then she'd come back with the "yes - you are coming" and this went on for a good couple of minutes. She just kept on and on and on and I was becoming very angry. I told her I had to be online to chat with my Mom and she would say I could talk over at where we were going. Well, I really wouldn't be comfy doing that!! She finally gave up I think and I just slammed the door and was still very upset. I had gotten over the fact that she was telling me to go somewhere 5 minutes before leaving time but was just really upset how she handled herself. Mother-in- laws!!!!!!!!!!!! Shakil tells me this is normal to have last minute social occasions. Well, I don't like it!!! I need to be told in advance if we are going out. What is wrong with making some plans for God's sake????

This morning when Shakil came home from work he and I went to the park for a walk. We needed some exercise and my OB has told me that I should get in 30 minutes of walking daily for my pregnancy. It's become cooler here FINALLY and it was around 5:30 a.m. when arrived at the park. We started walking and then about 15 minutes into our walk I notice these women walking barefoot in the wet grass. What the heck??? What do you do that for?? Don't your feet get all dirty??? Shakil tells me it is therapeutic - but I don't buy it.

Thanks to Zunaria for contacting me - I enjoyed the chat.

Until later...

Bye for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger ayalguita said...

uf! I understand you completely with this! When I lived in the Uk it was like this all the time, I was forced to go visit people's houses where I was showed like in the circus, the gori with paki clothes blablablabla...I wouldn't understand anything they where saying! So one day I jsut said that's it, if you want me to go somewhere you tell me in advance, if not I won't go because I have my own life! HOw come this people don't understand that?

2:09 PM  
Blogger mystic-soul said...

Welcome to "Desi" culture !!

(I sincerely hope you guys to move back soon to USA with newborn happily)

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home