Friday, October 21, 2005

A night without MIL/inlaws??

I've started bringing up to Shakil that 1 day a week I want to have a night without MIL and inlaws. MIL is living here with us along with my FIL/BIL. FIL/BIL travel back and forth to Karachi frequently but MIL is here to stay for the time being. Everytime Shakil and I go out somewhere - MIL always is with us. I also attend any other family gatherings and those are no short occasion - you're there for a few hours. So my point is I think I should be able to have 1 night a week without my MIL or inlaws. Just one night that Shakil and I spend time together/go out for dinner or something. He's been pretty good about it but sometimes doesn't understand why MIL gets on my nerves so bad. I can't really say that she is getting on my nerves - well yes I can. It's just she is always around and to be honest - she can be quite nosey - well nosey isn't the right word to use. She is just always up in your business I guess. I do respect my inlaws very much because they are my husband's parents and family. He respects my family so I in turn do the same.

After Shakil has worked his 4 nights a week - I'm more than ready to have that 1 night without MIL/inlaws. I have started attending Iftars without Shakil which is a step up for me. Last time I was here I wouldn't do anything without Shakil just because I didn't feel comfortable. So Tuesday rolls around and I start speaking of "night without MIL" as I'm calling it. This past Tuesday rolled around and I started mentioning "night without MIL" and we ended up spending the evening with MIL and had Iftar with her. Shakil had said we'd do "night without MIL" Wednesday since I have my OB appt. Well I was the sweet daughter-in-law and told Shakil to invite MIL to my OB appt since I was having an ultrasound. It would be her 1st time seeing our baby and Shakil's as well in action.

Wednesday night Shakil and I did have our "night without MIL". :-) I wanted him to take me to this place here in the city that serves really good seekh kababs. My last night here back in June we went there and I haven't had it since. I've really been craving some. So he took me there and he ended up getting a couple of the Iftar specials and he thought there were going to bring seekh kababs - well they didn't. They brought some other kababs but were not the seekh kababs that I wanted. So Shakil being the sweetheart he is - when he saw me ticked off - he ordered me that kabab plate that I originally wanted. It was verrrrrrrrry good and I really enjoyed it. I didn't enjoy that we had to sit outside because there was quite a bit of smoke from the bbq'ing they were doing. Oh well - all in all it was good.

After Iftar Shakil was asking what I was wanting to do. I really didn't know what to do but I knew that I wasn't ready to go pick up MIL over at his grandparents (we had dropped her there b4 going out). I told Shakil just to take me for a drive and then we could go pick up MIL. Well we ended up going over to a market where we had looked at baby cribs a few days back and there were a couple of other stores I wanted to check out. So he parked and we just walked around the market for a bit looking at these stores. It was nice doing that together. After the market we went to pick up MIL and called it a night.

Oh of course I need to mention about my OB appt. I had a level II ultrasound and our baby girl is doing just wonderfully!! She is really growing and weighs in at just over a pound now. She has no birth defects - thanks to God and looks just perfect to us. She was even sucking her little thumb at one point and us being able to see that was just priceless!! :-)

Ok so do you all agree that "a night without MIL" is a good thing to do? Is it too much to ask?? Just wondering. Thanks for all your comments lately - you all are just so very nice and I really appreciate it. Ok now I'm going to catch up on reading some other blogs. :-)

Until later...

Bye for now.

5 Comments:

Blogger The DP said...

Sweetie, I agree with you 100 percent. I love my mother in law to death, everyone can attest to that, but it is the nature of the MIL to be up in people's business. Mine means well, but she is so used to being The Mommy Kitty to everyone that she even mommies her daughters in law and son in law. I was CRAVING my me time this weekend. My point is, when you live with someone, you need a mental health break. One night is not too much to ask. Not even cultural differences. You are respecting their culture, they need to cut you some slack on this one. Trust me.
Take care.

1:48 AM  
Blogger The DP said...

Also remember that your mother in law does have a good intention, she is just trying to look after the two of you.

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Night without the MIL, almost impossible to get, but cherished time ha ha...it's good that your hubby is able to tell his mom that you two ned some alone time..I don't think mine could ever tell his. ha ha....good for you and good for your hubby!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Baji said...

Absolutely necessary. My MIL visits a few times a year, sometimes for months at a time. My dh and I will even leave her alone and go out fom time to time.

11:22 AM  
Blogger ayalguita said...

you are very right,that time is necesary, so you are lucky your hubby told her that! As for your Ob appointment, isn't uit cool to see your baby in the ultrasound? i loved it when mine where, now you can see her perfectly mahsallah that she is fine!:) Hey Tara, send me your address in Pakistan, ok? When the time comes I would like to send you something for the baby!, when is she due again?:)

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home