Monday, October 31, 2005

Fed up!!

I'm so fed up with the hygiene here. What I mean is how food is handled, where its handled, etc. Yes, here I go again on my MIL. You see my MIL works so hard to make sure that this house is clean - spotless. I just don't understand why the kitchen is always left out. Yes, it gets mopped everyday but they mop differently here than we are accustomed to. I have never seen anyone use a regular mop. They use what looks like a big squeegee with a handle and then throw a towel over the squeegee part. The towel looks to be a good 10 years old and it probably is. When I was here earlier this year and did the cleaning, I would launder this towel because it would just get so dirty. I have never seen it laundered since I arrived back here. They just rinse it out with some warm water and call it done.

They also do not understand the concept of using paper towels. When I was in the U.S. - had my own place, I always used paper towels. My reasoning was that I could use my favorite cleaner "clorox clean-up" and then just wipe the counter down with the paper towel and its been cleaned - thoroughly. Here they just keep using the same cotton towel and wiping up God only knows what with it. We're talking normal little spills to chicken drippings from RAW CHICKEN!! Not healthy!!! I have bitched about my MIL using this towel in the kitchen and she claims she cleans it by running it under hot water and even said she boils it - but I seriously doubt it. I think it needs to be laundered and I also think a new towel should be used everyday. Shakil mentioned to her about getting her some more towels so she could have a new towel everyday but she is so damn stubborn I'm sure it went in one ear and right out the other.

She leaves chicken out on the counter to thaw and that has gotten to me since day 1. She loves to leave chicken sitting out for hours after its cooked. Most people probably think that is fine since its cooked but its not. She likes to leave it out for a good 5 hours before it goes in the fridge.

Lately she has been cooking and cooking. Why does one keep cooking more food when the fridge is already full of food plus we're receiving food from other relatives??? Then we have a surplus of food here and nothing is ever wasted by anyone here. She serves days old food forever! I won't eat anything that has been refridgerated past 3 days. I know it sounds like I'm bitching a lot but I'm just fed up with it, hence why I haven't been eating MIL's food. I know she must wonder why I've stopped eating her food - I just cook something for myself. I really don't think she cares though as long as she has SOME mouth to feed. She still has my hubby, FIL and BIL.

Ok, done with my rant. It's Monday night here and it's Halloween! No Halloween celebrations going on here in Pak!! :-) I used to love Halloween as a kid - dressing up and going out with my friends door to door - those were the days.

Shakil is working tonight and then he's off - so weekend starts tomorrow for us. I'm looking forward to my "Night without MIL"!! That's the one thing I have to look forward to every week. I'm just glad that hubby is being cooperative about it. Thanks honey!

Until later...

Bye for now.

9 Comments:

Blogger The DP said...

I am a "dirty American". One thing I cannot handle is when people use my dish sponge on the counter. There is a dish sponge and a counter sponge, and any spills involving meat or milk or eggs get paper towels. Sounds simple, but oh nooooooo. I don't know how to clean.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It drove me nuts too. The kitchen was discusting. No one used paper towels...they thought it was waistful. Last time I bought a giant bottle of germ X with me to place in the kitchen for the servants and everyone to cleanse their hands before handling the food. You might just go out and give a gift of tupperware to the mil (including soemthing for teh paratha as my mil would even leave them out on the table). Then just take matters into your own hands. I don't know if they have Lysol Kitchen cleaner there, but there has to be something like that and just give it a quick go over everyday. I'm obsessed with kitchen cleanliness. My mil would take raw chicken and let it drip all over the floor while carrying it to the stove. I would freak the hell out b/c she'd just leave it. So invest in a good mop and bucket, some pinesol, some lysol and I'm right there with ya sister! It will help keep the whole family healthier!

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Baji said...

Ameen! I would go to the market and buy some sponges. Ask Shak to help in getting the family to switch habits.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Tara - Sorry to hear about you and your MIL issues. It is definetly a Paki thing to have TONS of food. Thank God we don't have that problem here lol.

Since getting my maid, I have been trying to keep things as clean as possible here (with the dust and everything). We also have that mop you mentioned (I call it the big giant squeegee). I make my maid wash the towel that is over it before going into the next room and changing the bucket water often.

They do have Clorox Clean-Up here. You might have it there, but it looks different (bottle wise). If you still can't find it, you can use vinegar and water. It works great and vinegar is probably very cheap there (it is here). I have a great website about vinager cleaning. If you want the link, let me know.

Hope everything works out for you. Have a great Eid!!!

Love and Miss you lots!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Aisha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For sure, Aisha, sponges are GROSS. I used to use them until I found out about that too. It made me sick so paper towels are for sure the best way to go.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Baji said...

My inlaws and my hubby call them "kitchen rolls" do yours? I mentioned them over sponges because my fam acts like they are such an expensive commodity that should be used sparingly.

Eid Mubarik!

10:37 AM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

lol...sorry but i am laughing over here cause i have the same issue. I mean it's crazy to leave raw chicken out and then cook it and leave it out some more, reheat it fifteen times etc. It drives me nuts too girl. It just must be a pakistani thing...

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home