Saturday, December 10, 2005

I smell gas....from the heater that is...

It has become much cooler here where we live in Pakistan and in fact it is COLD here at night. Its predicted that tonight it will get down to 37 degrees F. When you are living in a house that has all marble floors and it is completely made of concrete - it gets very cold inside. There is really no insulation. There have been times I've stepped outside and it actually felt warmer than it did on the inside of this house.

We started using a portable gas heater and we used this heater when I was here earlier this year and didn't seem to have any problems - however, there is only 1 in the entire house. I knew that when FIL, MIL and BIL returned there would need to be another heater. A few days back Shakil bought a new one and it is a tad bit bigger but the same style. He's hooked it up and we've been using it and it does give some good warmth however I smell gas everytime its used. The past 2 days I've had a headache that I can't seem to get rid of and now I'm blaming it on the gas heater. I really feel there is a leak somewhere. Shakil has checked several times and says there is not a leak but it really scares me because it is not safe for me or my unborn baby.

Tonight I was using it, just long enough to heat up the room slightly and it wasn't long that my headache returned. I went downstairs to have dinner and when I was away from our bedroom where the heater is - my headache went away and I just felt "better". Shakil was thinking that maybe there is the gas smell when we are just running the pilot. Well, I've had the headache and have smelled gas regardless of whether it is on pilot or not. I've turned it off completely and shut off the gas lever. I've told Shakil that its just not worth it to me and I'm not taking any risks since I'm pregnant.

He needs to get it fixed because this gas heater will be our source of heat when baby arrives and it just scares me to think that there is a leak - even the smallest of leaks.

Update: FIL, MIL and BIL return back on the 18th - so no more "alone time" for Shakil and I. I've really enjoyed the time we've had together "alone". It really has been great!!

Until later...

Bye for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger ayalguita said...

hi Tara! UUUhhh sounds scary that gas thingy, you are right not risking it now that you are pregnant! I use to have a gas fire in the UK and it gave me so many headaches, i hated it so much! I am scared of gas heaters, in my kitchen i took the gas cooker and put ceramic one instead, i feel much safer than with gas! Enjoy your alone days with dh as much as you can!:)

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those things scare the beegees out of me too. The smell is so strong that I insist we crack a window atleast. I was always worried it would kill us in our sleep. They'd check it and check it and assume I was crazy I'm sure, but it reallys scared me. I would try to get something electric too.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home